Here she is, my usually willing model wearing her latest new dress, a Music Box Jumper in baby rib corduroy. Note to self: must take more better pictures of projects. I’m particularly unwilling to step into the model role myself, but have done a bit of sewing for myself, so you see the conflict. At any rate – it’s been a good sewing month for me in part because I’ve stepped away from the incessant work sewing. For me, a lot of the joy in sewing comes in experimenting, learning, and exploring. A lot of that hasn’t been happening since I started sewing for markets, so I’ve been working on bringing it back. The true list of things I’d like to sew would startle myself and the world, so I’ll keep that to myself for now. In the meantime, here’s an overview of my April sewing.
- Sorbetto top: My muslin in a dark blue lightweight cotton with butterflies (really, must take picture!) turned out great! I think I stretched my bias tape while sewing it into the neckline (it leans out like it’s inviting visitors in the front). The fit and the look, though, are great. I’m planning to make at least two more for the summer and bought a cardigan to wear over them!
- T-shirt: I finished my self-drafted t-shirt last week and it’s lovely. A silly math mistake (65-6=49… what?!) gave me a funky collar. It looks fine unless you look twice, then you realize the too-tight collar is pulling in the shoulders. That will need to be fixed, but otherwise, love it and the nice drapey knit it’s made from!
- Pumpkin’s Birthday dress: A mere month too late, she’s got her fourth Music Box Jumper. Grandma brought the floral corduroy over from North Carolina. I asked her to stop in at Mulberry Silks and pick up a quarter yard of pretty corduroy. She did a great job, of course. I love that shop and wish I could stop in more often. Unfortunately, that whole trans-atlantic flight thing gets in my way. The dress came together easy peasy and fits great. She’s in the size 3 now.
- Pillow: finish buttons and assembly! (it’s been a year and 3 months in progress for no good reason at all
- Serger cover: draft pattern
- Button down shirt: draft pattern using Cal Patch’s Design it Yourself
- Clutch: The next BMB Challenge bag. Must cut fabric!